Friday, July 31, 2015
1. Our Gov't continues its two and a half decade war in Iraq. If I recall correctly, that war started in 1990. There were a few brief respites between then & now, but not many. [I count "sanctions" as acts of war... because History does as well.] Just prior to 1990, Saddam & our Gov't Oligarchs were best buddies. He was taken OFF the Terrorist Watch List by Reagan, I think it was, because Iraq was in a war with Iran. We continue on in Iraq not because of "spreading democracy" or "fighting terrorism" or whatever the current excuse may be, but rather because our access to Iraq's oil is not yet secure.
2. Similarly, our Gov't continues to wage war (Gov't Oligarchs call it "counter-terrorism") in Afghanistan because geologists estimate that a one trillion dollar bonanza in minerals lies under the ground there. [Some of those minerals are rare and just about mined-out everywhere else.] The U.S. Gov't wants to secure access to that bonanza.
3. Our President continues to meet every Tuesday with some number of other Executive Branch outlaws in order to choose which people to murder in "counter-terrorism" drone attacks. [In most cases, such people are SUSPECTS.] Again, I point out that such action by the Executive Branch is a direct violation of the U.S. Constitution. One of the clauses in Article I, Section 8 clearly states that Letters of Marque and Reprisal (assassination orders) are to be issued by the Congress. The Executive has no authority in that area. Being Commander-in-Chief never has meant that the President gets to ignore some parts of the Supreme Law of the Land.
4. Our Govt's Terrorist Watch List (or whatever the hack politicians call it) is completely illegal. Admittedly, I'm not an attorney...thank Buddha-Mind (or "God", if you prefer); however, I do have a fairly good grasp of Logic and I'm very familiar with the Constitution. I say that List is illegal because it accuses and harms people without them knowing about it until it's too late. Plus, there's no appeal, no recourse, no chance to defend oneself. You are deemed guilty until the Gov't changes its mind. That whole scenario is not fair, just, or legal. It's one more piece of evidence that we are in a Soft Fascist State.
5. The Gov't of Turkey is now bombing both ISIS and the Kurds in northern Iraq, the same Kurds who are fighting ISIS. Institutional idiocy.
6. The Gov't of Germany (the richest country in Europe), along with the European Central Bank and others (including Hedge Funds), have refused to write-down Greece's debt to a point where it can be repaid. After WW I, that's exactly the break that Germany got relative to its debt. That's why, prior to Hitler, Germany was at the pinnacle of European culture and productivity. The Germans were able to recover from WW I because their debt was reduced by their creditors. [By the way, some portion of Greece's debt has been purchased at discounted prices by Hedge Funds, which stand to benefit greatly from the "Austerity" being imposed upon Greece.] So now, pensions in Greece are being reduced to about $94 per month. Public infrastructure will be sold to mega corporations. Taxes will be raised in an already devastated economy. Way to go, Germany, et. al. Save the rich creditors, ruin Greece. Great plan.
7. The Police State in the USA continues on. Read the headlines. Plus, because cities & counties have lost so much tax revenue (due to Oligarchs moving manufacturing out of our country), in some places a driver can be ticketed & fined for having anything hanging from the rear view mirror...such as a deodorizer or a chain. Then, too, there is Civil Asset Forfeiture. With no charge, no indictment, no trial, nothing, your cash and other property can be seized by police because it's "suspicious". For example, a significant amount of cash can be taken from you because the cop suspects that you may buy drugs with it...probable cause is not required. Another example: if you have certain tools in your car, they can be taken with no due process... because the cop thinks you're going to commit a burglary with them. Have mercy.
8. Saudi Arabia continues to behead people for "crimes" such as sorcery and blasphemy. These barbarians are our allies, folks. Again, have mercy. Never mind that the State there sponsors the most radical form of Sunni Islam (Wahhabism) in existence... they behead people for "crimes" such as blasphemy and adultery. Wake up, DC politicos.
9. Obama continues to deny that his wars are war at all. Instead, they are deemed "counter-terrorism". Orwell would be proud. The Constitution is clear about who can put this country at war... and it's not the President. It appears, though, that very few Americans care whether or not our "leader" is violating the Supreme Law of the Land. Amazing.
10. It looks as though most Americans are gearing up for the phony national election next year. For eight years, I've used this blog to detail why our whole political scene is a farce... so I won't repeat myself now.
Not just my opinion. Be Well