Friday, February 10, 2017
King Donald appears to think he's still a CEO, or worse, the owner of the American Gov't. This is somewhat understandable because there are few (if any) institutions more dictatorial than a Mega Corporation...and that's the atmosphere our President is used to. He appears to believe that he's the Boss of the entire Fed Gov't., and that being Commander-in-Chief entitles him to ignore Immigration Laws passed by Congress and other laws such as the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) passed into Law during the Nixon Era. [Just the other day, the Army cancelled/terminated the NEPA requirement for an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) on the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL). That's a direct violation of NEPA.]
The Don appears to be ignorant of the fact that we have a government composed of three separate branches---all co-equal. He apparently doesn't believe in the concepts of Checks and Balances and Separation of Powers. This also is somewhat understandable. That's because going back at least to the Bill Clinton Era, the Executive Branch has pretty much embraced the concept of Unitary Executive Power (especially promulgated during the Dubya Bush Era). This concept purports that the President is allowed to set aside any laws that conflict with the Executive's view of actions necessary to preserve "National Security". It was honed into a weapon (against democracy) primarily by John Yoo and David Addington in the Bush Administration. In essence, it places the President above the law. Clinton, Bush, Obama, and it looks like Trump as well all believe in it. This is a big part of the reason for Presidential violations of statutory law and the Supreme Law of the Land, the U.S. Constitution.
This is the reason that recent Presidents believed they could spy on Americans without obtaining individual warrants signed by a judge. It's the reason that recent Presidents thought they could go to war without the approval of Congress. It's the reason they believed that people (U.S. citizens) can be arrested and held incommunicado without a warrant. It's the reason they all still believe that the President can order weaponized drone attacks whenever and wherever the Executive Branch so chooses...even if the target country says NO. This is the reason that FBI Agents now can write their own Search Warrants (called "National Security Letters"), and if you're served with one, you cannot reveal that to anyone (not even an attorney) or you're subject to five years in prison. That's a prime example of Fascism in action.
Trump's implosion is evidenced by his continual whining about judges, about "fake news", about Nordstrom dropping his daughter's clothing line (!), about lawmakers who wish to alter Asset Forfeiture laws, about anyone who criticizes or opposes him, and by his continual use of Twitter as a vehicle for all his woes & complaints. [He's acting like a teenager.]
King Donald, like all recent Presidents, appears to believe that no one in the Judicial Branch or the Legislative Branch has the right or duty to oppose him. He seems to think that he's the Head Honcho of the whole Shebang. He thinks he's the CEO of the Fed Gov't. Like the Presidents of our recent past, apparently he believes that being Commander-in-Chief of the military means that he's entitled to be above the law. Being the Head Honcho of the military does not entitle any President to ignore any part of the Constitution or any Law passed by Congress. There are limits on the Presidency...a lot of limits. Without strict observance of those limits, we have a Fascist government.
Not only my opinion. Be Well
Sunday, February 5, 2017
Trump beats out even Dubya Bush and Obama for the title, Lunatic King. I didn't think that was possible....especially so soon after the election. Naturally, I'm exaggerating with the title of this essay; however, exaggeration often drives home a valid point. Here are just a few of Trump's "lunacies"---
1. He's acting like an idiot with Iran. Trump claims that Iran is the greatest generator of terrorism in the world. In reality, that title belongs to either Saudi Arabia---with its spreading of Wahhabism (a fundamentalist form of Sunni Islam)---or to the USA, with its weaponized drones and American Empire view of world relations. For about forty years, the Iranian Gov't has tried to turn its own people against the USA. It failed to do so. Trump has done it in ten days.
2. In a really dumb/lunatic move, King Donald not only placed a Gag Order on the EPA & other Gov't agencies, but he placed a freeze on any new contracts for the cleanup of SuperFund toxic/hazardous waste sites. There are over 1,800 such sites in our Land. This means that hazardous wastes will not only continue to leach into our groundwater and/or flow into our surface water, but overall will accelerate. Some of these sites are military installations with pollution dating back to the '50s and '60s. [As a HazMat Specialist with Sacramento County about 15 years ago, I conducted regulatory compliance inspections of one of those sites, McClellan Air Force Base. These pollution problems are real, and need to be addressed.]
SIDE NOTE: The pollution going back decades is a direct result of an almost total lack of environmental regulations and/or enforcement in the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's. Even today, enforcement of environmental regs is lacking to one degree or another in some areas of our country. It's a fairly safe bet that Trump & his Administration will worsen the situation.
3. The blanket ban on people from seven predominantly Muslim countries is making enemies around the world. Even many in Israel condemn it. Fortunately, the judicial section of the Deep State here is fighting Trump on this one, and for the moment at least, is winning.
4. Trump's (for the most part) Corporate Cabinet is beyond ridiculous. These people will favor Mega Banks, other Mega Corporations, and the Super-Rich over Main Street in a heartbeat. It all shows where Trump's true loyalties exist. In terms of the Oligarchy v. the rest of us, it's SSDD. On second thought, this time it will be on triple steroids.
5. King Donald's views (and already, actions) on Climate Change display an exponential amount of ignorance. He's not a stupid man, but he's quintessentially ignorant on too many crucial issues. Either that, or he's propagandized beyond the pale... or both.
Not only my opinion. Be Well