Sunday, October 14, 2018
In this essay, I'm not claiming these reasons are the only ones or necessarily the most egregious ones. Nor are they equal in magnitude. Nevertheless, taken together they do show a pattern of self-righteous bullying, and sometimes outright illegality. The items in the list below are not in any order of importance.
1. Not long ago and undoubtedly at the direction of the White House, Nikki Haley (no relation to me) threatened countries with consequences if they didn't go along with the policies of the current anti-Science Administration. Thank heaven she'll be resigning her post, but I imagine she'll be replaced by someone else who, like Trump, thinks the USA is King of the World. Threatening allies and others is bullying; doing it in public is egregious, political claptrap.
2. At the same time that the White House and Congress are braying about Russia, and now China, interfering in our elections, John Bolton is talking about overthrowing the government of Iran. Is not overthrowing a gov't the ultimate example of interference? Not only bullying, but the word "hypocrisy" comes to mind...big-time. [Then there's the fact that the USA's & Britain's governments, back in the 1950's, participated in the coup that overthrew Iran's democratically elected gov't. Why? Because the new leader wanted Iran's oil to be for Iran... what audacity. Then, too, there's the fact that the USA's gov't engineered coups in other countries, such as Guatemala and Chili. More bullying and hypocrisy.]
3. Starting with Obama and continuing with Trump, the Executive Branch is developing so-called tactical (low-yield) nuclear weapons. Some of the Fed policy makers apparently believe that the use of such weapons will not have any serious, long-term, detrimental effects on life on Earth. In other words, they seem to think that nuclear weapons can be used without much harm to the planet and its ecosystems.
No one knows any such thing. That use would be a most dangerous experiment. So far, evidence regarding radiation indicates any such use would be a disaster. The point here is that development of these weapons is bald-faced bullying. Do what we say, or we'll nuke you.
4. The idea of "Preemptive War" probably didn't start with the Dubya Bush Administration, but that Admin claimed that the execution of the concept was legal...hence, the disastrous Iraq War. In the simplest terms, Preemptive War means: we are going to attack you because you might be planning to attack us. Furthermore, we're so special that we're positive you are planning that. We can predict the future.
Preemptive War is not only unconstitutional, it's also immoral, unethical, and in defiance of common sense. It bespeaks a gross distortion and subversion of "American Exceptionalism". As far as I can determine, every fairly recent Administration at the Fed level has believed in it. There's no doubt at all that Trump embraces it. This is bullying to the max.
5. Regarding recent Fed treatment of Native Americans/American Indians---
when it comes to oil pipelines (such as DAPL), the Executive Branch seems to be saying: we don't care about the risk to your water, or the desecration of your burial grounds, or the desecration of other holy sites. We are issuing the permit for this, no matter what you say or do.
Furthermore, we are going to bypass the Fed Law requirement for an Environmental Impact Statement on this project. We can do that because we claim that each section of the pipeline is like a "spur line", which has no such requirement. Plus, we now have an autocrat-wannabe President who thinks he's above the Law. Finally, oil is "National Security". When it comes to that, we can ignore any Law we choose. More bullying.
6. Since the Supreme Court's Kelo v. City of New London decision, Fed Eminent Domain applies to taking land for economic development. That means your land can be (after just compensation) seized and then sold or given to a company for private development. That's now considered "Public Use"... because of the taxes generated. This Court decision was/is outrageous.
Our Fed Gov't doesn't bully only other countries and American Indians. It does so to all of us.
7. The tactics of the IRS sometimes are Gestapo-like. I've experienced something like that personally. They don't mind being bullies at all.
[SIDE NOTE: By the way, the first permanent Income Tax (1913) applied only to about the top 2% of the population, and did not include taxation of wages. Only passive income was taxed under that Law.]
8. Regarding treatment of asylum seekers and other immigrants, separation of 6,000 family members, caging kids, misleading parents, etc.---
This current Administration has acted horribly, immorally, and in an unchristian manner. It's truly incredible, and all just to make a political point. Shabby bullying for political gain. Inexcusable.
Why We the People enable politicians such as these to "represent" us is beyond my comprehension. As I've said before, massive boycotting could correct the situation and bring down the whole House of Cards. Unfortunately, that probably never will happen. Oligarchs/Plutocrats will continue to rule. The root blame for that is Edward Bernays style Propaganda. C'est la vie.
Not only my opinion. Be Well