Saturday, March 12, 2016
Most of the time, it seems so to me. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why most of my fellow citizens appear to either believe, or alternatively, to not object to the following falsehoods.
1. Our Presidents can issue pretty much any Executive Orders that they so desire. [Any 12th-grader reading Article II, Section 2 of the United States Constitution easily could determine that only two such Orders are permitted: the Pres can order his/her Department Heads (or any one of them) to submit a Report on anything having to do with their individual Departments; and, the Pres can order a Pardon for a convicted criminal...except in the case of Impeachment. That's it...those are the only two Exec Orders permitted by the Supreme Law of the Land. Presidents usually justify others by citing some general duty of theirs to protect or defend the United States. Any such duty cannot legally contravene other parts of the Constitution. Well, maybe it can in Alice's Wonderland or some other la-la, loony tunes Land...but to allow such actions permits the Executive Branch to make Laws... and that's a function expressly reserved to the Congress. With that power, a President essentially is a Feudal King.]
2. Our Presidents legally can have our military cross an international border, bomb that country, and kill people without Congress declaring war. [This has been going on since the end of WW II. Politicians usually justify it in one of two ways: by claiming the action is not war; or, by citing some LAW passed by Congress that allows the Pres to choose when & where to engage in war. In the first case, I refer you to the Korean Conflict (the official name) in the 1950's, the Vietnam Conflict (the official name) in the 1960's and 1970's, and the Counter-Terrorism activities of Bush-Obama. In the second case, I refer you to the War Powers Act. Those justifications are blatantly wrong because in the first case, if you bomb a country & kill people, it's ridiculous to claim you're not at war; in the second case, no Law trumps the Constitution. That's why it's called the SUPREME Law of the Land.]
3. The gravest, most dangerous threat to the USA is that of Islam. [You have a bigger chance of being killed by lightning than by the comparatively few criminals who are so-called jihadists.] Because of that "threat", we must willingly sacrifice certain Rights in order to be "safe". [These beliefs by seemingly many Americans are at once ridiculous, tragic, and comical. Can't anyone reason anymore? Can't anyone recognize manipulative Propaganda anymore? Can't anyone see how the Powers-That-Be are eliminating our Right to be Free with this BS?]
4. Our Economy is "recovering". Unemployment is now at "4.9%"...[or some other equally & wildly inaccurate low number.] The Stock Market is rebounding and soon will be in great shape again. Manufacturing is on the mend. [Those claims are beyond the pale...completely asinine. The Powers-That-Be are so used to most Americans accepting their outright lies that such lies have become larger and more numerous in recent years. See several of my past posts for an alternative view... or see almost any non-corporate media source for something much, much closer to the truth.]
5. Donald Trump, or Ted Cruz, or Hillary Clinton, or Bernie Sanders, or any of the other current candidates will make good on their promises... and really make a difference in our lives. [Please. Not without Congress they won't... unless they do it illegally by Exec Order. Furthermore, keep in mind that the President represents the State (as in Statism), not the People. We the People supposedly are represented by the Congress, not the Executive Branch... although, with all the Crony Capitalism and corruption in the Gov't, even the concept of Congress representing us is highly questionable. The only way out of this political mess is by means of peaceful outside pressure. No one inside the Rotten System ever will be able to change much of anything...not anymore. The fact is, we live in a criminal Fascist State... criminal at the highest levels. The Supreme Law of the Land is violated by Gov't Elites on an almost daily basis. Don't ever think that one has to be a Judge or Attorney-at-Law in order to comprehend the Constitution. That document is long-winded in parts, but it's very plainly written and fairly easy to understand. Most politicians ignore most of it. Where's the outrage over that?]
Not only my opinion. Be Well