Thursday, June 29, 2017
The craziness referred to in the title above covers a very broad range. The text below displays only a few examples of some of it. I'm calling the USA Gov't "nonconstitutional" (as opposed to unconstitutional) because for many years our leaders have ignored large parts of the Constitution. It's as though the document doesn't even exist. Here's some of the craziness, as follows.
1. Our politicians appear to believe that this also is in the Fourth Amendment: "...none of the provisions of this Amendment apply if there's a national crisis or any threat to national security...or if Congress passes any Law that contradicts any part of this Amendment...". Of course, none of that is in the Fourth Amendment, but that fact seems to matter not at all. Certain parts of the PATRIOT Act and a few other Laws are in direct conflict with the Fourth Amendment. Crazy.
2. Once a week (or so), the President meets with others in the Executive Branch to decide which people in other countries are to be murdered with Hellfire missiles from weaponized drones. Anyone so killed is automatically designated as an EKIA---enemy killed in action. It doesn't matter if the person is Joe Suspect's grandmother ("collateral" damage) or Joe's ten-year-old son (more "collateral" damage). They are all EKIA as far as our Gov't is concerned. This all happens despite the fact that the Executive Branch has no Constitutional authority whatsoever to issue assassination orders. That authority belongs only to Congress. The only exception to that is during a war officially declared by Congress. [We haven't had one of those since WW II.] Crazy.
3. According to a portion of the National Defense Authorization Act, our rights to "due process" and "innocent until proven guilty in a Court of Law" are negated if we are suspected of any kind of "terrorism". [You would be surprised how little it takes to be a suspect in such a case.] Crazy.
4. Too many of our militarized Law Enforcement people now do not treat suspects properly. Instead of innocent until proven guilty, suspects are demeaned, lied to, denied access to rest rooms, or much worse--- sexually abused, shot in the back, beaten or TASED after being handcuffed, or flat-out killed. No, that isn't rampant in our society, but it's happening way too often. Here's what's much more common: nonviolent protesters are pepper-sprayed in the face with no warning, no "order to disperse"...or sometimes their eyelids are held open by one or two officers while another one sprays directly into their eyes... all of this while peacefully exercising their Right to Assembly. Crazy.
5. While it isn't yet widespread, small drones have been used by Law Enforcement in lieu of a proper Search Warrant...another violation of our rights supposedly protected by the Fourth Amendment. Crazy.
6. Our Executive Branch now bombs other countries, puts combat troops into action in other countries, and in Syria shoots down one of their aircraft...all with no approval of Congress, no involvement of Congress at all, and certainly no declaration of war. Crazy.
7. As reported on Democracy Now, since March of this year, U.S.-led airstrikes in Iraq have killed about 700 civilians. All this in a completely unconstitutional war. Crazy.
8. Our Military gurus want to send another 5,000 or so ground troops to Afghanistan...to a war with no end in sight...in a land deservedly known as the Graveyard of Empires. Trump essentially said to Mattis: go for it. All ISIS (or the Taliban) has to do is fade back into the woodwork until we leave. Trump wants to fulfill a campaign promise that's impossible: "We will exterminate ISIS.". The Russians couldn't do something similar with 500,000 troops there. Crazy.
To any of you reading this who believe you are genuine "Conservatives" (not NeoCons), where is your outrage? Our country is being destroyed by Militarists, Authoritarians, Corporatists, and Empire thugs...and you appear to be supporting the whole shebang. Please stop drinking the Edward Bernays style Propaganda Kool Aid. What will it take for you to wake up? To those of you who believe you are genuine "Progressives", what are you doing in the Democratic Party? Ever since 1992, that Party is firmly in the Land of Corporatism. Please wake up. We need organized, opposing political forces in this country so a Middle Way can be determined...instead of the Corporatist Dem v. Repub sham that we have now.
Not only my opinion. Be Well