Friday, May 26, 2017
Following are just a few bits of evidence supporting the assertion in the title above. This all applies throughout the Western World, but especially in the Land I love, the USA.
1. The word "war" no longer means war. Instead, it means "leading the world", or "fighting terrorism", or "protecting our allies", or "spreading democracy", etc. More importantly, war now can be waged at the sole discretion of the Executive Branch in the USA...a direct violation of the Supreme Law of the Land. They say it's not war. That's very Orwellian...any time our Gov't bombs another country, anyone with any common sense at all knows that's an act of war. Congressional approval is no longer sought. The concept of Unitary Executive Power reigns supreme in our Orwellian Gov't; it has for years & years. As in Orwell's novel, 1984, the meanings of key words are being manipulated/changed by the highest levels of our Gov't and by other Elites.
Very recently, our President gave an anti-terrorism speech to the Sunni rulers of Saudi Arabia. The extremist Sunni Sect of Wahhabism (adhered to by ISIS & Al Qaeda), which is spread around the world by "True Believers", is Saudi State-sponsored. Trump then announced billions of dollars in military hardware sales to the Saudis...pretty much on the heels of Obama's similar action when he was President. Then The Don joined in some kind of silly, celebratory "sword dance" (or something). All of this is Orwellian to the max. On top of that, our military is helping the Saudis (logistics, targeting, & equipment) in their devastating war in Yemen. The Saudis are bombing schools, hospitals, public water facilities, and civilians in general. The country is on the verge of famine, cholera is spreading, and hundreds upon hundreds of children have been killed by bombs. This is a Sunni-Shia war; it has little or nothing to do with terrorism, that is to say, the type of terrorism Trump claims to be fighting.
2. For some time now in the USA, due to CIVIL Asset Forfeiture, a person's property (perhaps certain tools, or a "large" amount of cash, and other things) can be seized by the Authorities without any warrant or arrest just because the items seem SUSPICIOUS. Law Enforcement people will say, yes, but if everything turns out to be innocent, then you can get your property back. Try that sometime. See how much time, effort, and money it takes. Sometimes the property is auctioned off before your months-long quest to retrieve it is completed. Often you are stalled in your efforts into infinity, and nothing ever gets resolved. Local and regional governments are so strapped for income that they resort to exorbitant fines, asset forfeiture, and outrageous fees in order simply to survive. That's primarily because their manufacturing tax base has moved out of the country. Local governments often are just as dictatorial as the Fed Gov't sometimes is; that's especially true of County governments. 1984.
3. Presumption of Innocence until proven guilty, especially in the international arena, is pretty much dead. One example: the gassing of civilians in Syria. It has not been proven that Assad was responsible. Some people simply assumed it because, by most accounts, the guy is a brutal dictator. Trump then fires missiles, attacks a sovereign country...an act of war...without any Congressional approval. By the way, about half the missiles missed the airbase, and the other half hit nothing of critical importance. Most planes were not hit, the runway was undamaged, and planes flew out of there the very next day. Nevertheless, none of it should have happened; it was all illegal. Plus, where's the proof that Assad was the culprit in the gas attack? The Unitary Executive concept rules. That's totalitarian absolutism. Just because it was exercised against a supposedly bad apple does not excuse it. The President is not above the Law, regardless of what the elite government lawyers claim.
4. On the domestic front, due process has been disappearing for years. Without any proper warrant, our private data can be mined, our property sometimes can be seized, and we can be spied upon at will by the Fed Gov't. Americans don't seem to understand that it isn't only the suspicious people who are being spied upon by the Feds...it's everyone. Orwellian. To top it off, high officials such as James Clapper are allowed to lie while testifying before Congress about this spying...with no penalty. Lying while testifying before Congress is a felony. Where is the Rule of Law?
In addition, too many people (suspects) are being shot in the back, TASED & then shot, handcuffed & then TASED repeatedly, forced to die of thirst while being held in jail, beaten to a pulp after surrendering, repeatedly harassed for exposing wrongdoing by authorities, arrested on bogus charges which the authorities know will be dismissed, etc., ad nauseam & ad infinitum. Orwellian.
If we are to have any chance of overcoming all this, then it seems to me we should consider doing the following.
1. Start with the premise that most Elites (public & private) are not working in favor of Main Street.
2. Stop drinking the Propaganda Kool Aid coming from the Elites on the political Right and Left.
3. Shun the disastrous, dictatorial, so-called Two-Party political system in the USA. It's a sham.
4. Shun Corporatism whenever possible.
5. Understand that effective Propaganda always has some elements of truth in it. That doesn't mean any conclusions put forth are accurate or logical.
6. Think critically. Don't be gullible, and beware of great-sounding catch phrases.
7. Hold all politicians not only to the Rule of Law, but to high ethical standards as well.
8. Speak out. Be a whistleblower. Governments are not above the Law...except in an Orwellian world.
9. Abraham Lincoln once said, "Factions destroy republics.". Instead of Red or Blue, consider Purple. Be an Independent.
Not only my opinion. Be Well