By the "Oligarchy", I'm referring of course to those at the highest levels in politics, Big Business, and the Intelligentsia...the ones who "run the country". They are both Democrats and Republicans, but those labels are not in any way important to them. Their guideposts primarily are power and money. They're not in any kind of conspiracy, but they do enjoy great solidarity.
Here, then, are their rules for success...the rules by which they live, thrive, and rule others.
1. Utilize Edward Bernays style Propaganda at every opportunity...to its maximum effect.
2. Select, groom, and finance the slickest liars and most unethical people possible for national political office.
3. Wrap yourself in the American Flag at every opportunity.
4. Strive to keep the country perpetually at war. It's great for Big Business and the best way to control the public mind. It also gives us every opportunity to "colonize" geostrategic areas without appearing imperialistic; that way we can assure American Primacy. We're just defending our country. If one person is killed, it's murder; but if 100,000 are killed, it's Foreign Policy and/or protecting our Homeland.
5. Tell the Little People whatever it is they want to hear at crucial times.
6. Continue the myth that Republicans and Democrats at the highest levels have substantially different views. It's the best way to Divide and Conquer. Pretend to squabble with your supposed political opposition.
7. At all costs, never prosecute in court any mega bank CEO who has been complicit in swindling people. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Instead, levy a large fine against the bank for "misleading investors".
8. Distract the public with minor political issues and various circuses.
9. Allow people to peacefully protest, but only in limited, designated areas.
10. When caught in wrongdoing, criminalize the whistleblower.
11. Make certain that the mainstream, corporate media keep serving up pablum to the public... either that or controversy over nothing of any significant consequence.
12. Continue the myth that the People live in a participatory democracy.
13. At all costs, support and promote the WTO and Free Trade Agreements, the Neoliberal policy of deregulation of the worldwide Financial Sector, and the myth that we're aiding poor countries by forcing them to privatize gov't services. In other words, continue the myth that Globalization is good for the common people and the economy.
14. Avoid conflict with the U.S. Constitution simply by ignoring the document.
15. Continue the myth that the President of the U.S. legally (and essentially) can create Law by the use of Executive Orders. If questioned about that, respond by saying that the Constitution "implies" it.
16. Oppose, denigrate, and when possible, eliminate all labor unions. Substitute biased "mandatory arbitration" in their place. This is the best way to keep the Little People workers in check.
17. Keep the public in fear.
18. Continue the lie that National Security trumps everything... including common decency, the Law, the Constitution, ethics, and morality.
19. Continue the War on Drugs. It's almost as good as actual war in relation to controlling the populace.
20. Act as though you favor egalitarian issues; in other words, lie.
Do you recognize any of this? There is a better way. The second step toward that is to organize. The first step I've stated over and over: we must stop drinking the Propaganda Kool Aid.