Sunday, May 3, 2015
National Politics in the USA is Utterly Disgusting...and Harmful
Again, I emphasize that I'm not a Republican or a Democrat... thank "God". With the world's greatest library (the internet) at our fingertips and a fairly good grasp of both History and Logic, it's beyond my comprehension how anyone could belong to a limited, specific political group. To do so almost certainly would require one to be an idealogue, a blindly partisan advocate & adherent... not a good thing.
Here's why national politics in the USA is both disgusting and harmful---
1. Wall Street runs the show. Anyone who still doubts that either is not paying attention, or is propagandized beyond the point of no return, or both. Not only does the Financial Sector run the show, it is waging war on both workers and industry. The USA rapidly is being reduced to a NeoFeudal State.
2. With the help of politicians at the highest levels, Mega Banks continue to run amok. Wealth continues to be transferred from the poor and middle classes to the upper crust at an unprecedented rate. This is being accomplished largely by Financialization, which extracts income from the 99% and then does not use that money for the creation of jobs. Instead, funds are invested in bizarre financial derivatives, or foreign currency speculation, or foreign capital investments in manufacturing overseas, or socked away offshore to avoid taxes, or in raiding existing domestic companies & then downsizing or dismantling them.
3. There's a revolving door between private corporation, CEO (& lesser) positions and appointed, high-level U.S. Government positions. Men such as Hank Paulson, Tim Geithner, Robert Gates, and others should have been disqualified from government service due to conflict of interest. Especially Paulson, who previously was Goldman Sachs' CEO, and then essentially gave mega banks billions of taxpayer $$$. [Ben Bernanke, a non-corporate appointee, topped Paulson: he made $13.1 TRILLION available in loans to mega banks at POINT 25% (.25%) interest just before TARP. That makes one wonder why the banks needed the "paltry" TARP funds.]
4. Politicians at the highest levels (in general) are notorious liars. They say anything to get elected. Obama is a prime example. The 2008 Obama-worshippers have to be the most disappointed people in American political history. Obama, the corporatist and warmonger... posing as some sort of Leftist. Obama, who (contrary to the Constitution) chooses which people (including Americans) are to be killed by drone attacks. Obama, who is waging war on US workers and industry. Obama, persecutor of Fed Whistleblowers. Obama, who joins with McConnell to push for the TPP abomination. Obama, who fines crooked mega banks billions & billions of dollars for FRAUD, but jails not one of their top execs. And on & on. The guy is the greatest flim-flam artist in the history of our politics. Bar none. He even beats out Bush-Cheney for that title... which I didn't think was possible.
5. Politicians at the highest levels (in general) mostly ignore about half the U.S. Constitution, especially Article I Section 8, Article II Section 2, and the First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and Ninth Amendments. Each therefore is violating his/her Oath of Office. Put bluntly, essentially they are Outlaws. Where the hell is Law Enforcement? Where is Justice?
So, what can we do? Here's a start...just a start---
1. Ignore the Edward Bernays style Propaganda. Don't automatically believe anything a high-level politician says until you check it out using multiple, diverse sources. Additionally, stop relying on one or two sources for your national news. For one thing, the Corporate Media outlets (ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc.) omit so much that you can't possibly have an accurate picture of what's going on if you rely only on them.
2. This one seems counterintuitive, but don't vote in national elections. A national election is a Rigged Game; don't play. That's the best way to make the Oligarchy pay attention to We the People. Everyone who is a "true believer" in some political ideology (& thus a "voter") is perpetuating the Rigged Game. The Neoliberal Coup that has taken place here and throughout most of the world cannot be overturned by voting. National candidates for office are selected from the top down, not the bottom up. Even if, by some miracle, a "genuine Populist" or a "good person" gets elected, that person will be marginalized completely by the Rotten System. That won't be true forever, but it certainly is now and for the near future.
3. Educate yourself and others. With the world's greatest library in front of you, you have no excuse not to.
4. Be an Activist... organize around just causes. Do something, something peaceful, even if it's anonymously and by yourself. If group protests are not your bag, there's nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of other things that can be done: boycotting, writing, all types of Art, discussions, commercial ads, speeches, stickers (Street Art), flyers, business-type cards (of a political nature), videos, or ??? Be imaginative.
5. The Neoliberals have won because basically they have distracted and divided us. That has to end. I'm guessing that most of us don't want pointless war, or jobs shipped overseas, or an ever-intrusive Surveillance State, or unsafe food, or a completely debased dollar, or stagnant wages, or economic bubbles, or de-industrialization, or never-ending debt, or ever-increasing price inflation, or the ridiculously high cost of higher education, or a war against workers, or inferior, meaningless jobs, or the rip-off, add-on fees imposed upon us by Big Business, or major rivers & rainwater owned by corporations. If that's all true...that we don't want those things, then we have to stop being so fragmented when it comes to politics. Democrats AND Republicans have brought us to the point where we are now. They need a message sent to them...and quickly.
Not just my opinion.