Wednesday, January 20, 2016
The Most Dishonest Profession in the USA
I was going to title this piece, "The Sleaziest Profession..."; however, that might be a bit too harsh...but not by much. Also, be aware that this is a generalization on my part. There are usually exceptions to a general rule, but they rarely ever prove a generalization to be false. What do you think...is it that of a drug dealer? Nope...a good contender for the title, but that's not it. How about that of a Mega Bank CEO? Another good contender, but that's not it either.
The most dishonest profession in the USA is that of a high-level, national politician and/or bureaucrat. Those at the highest levels. [I include high-level appointees in the term "bureaucrat".] I came to my conclusion after keenly observing U.S. politics for well over half a century, and most recently, watching the documentaries Money for Nothing, Silenced, Secrets Politics and Torture, Losing Iraq, United States of Secrets, To Catch a Trader, The Untouchables, and many more. [The 1st two currently are on Netflix (& probably elsewhere online); the remainder are available at the PBS Frontline website.]
Before I offer evidence for my assertion in the paragraph above (the 1st sentence), let's be clear: the following people are/were not always dishonest, or even sleazy. Had they been, it would have been too obvious. Liars work much in the same way as does Propaganda: there's always a small element of truth to be found. That's what makes the person or the idea seem credible. Finally, I could have made the list below several pages long, but there's really not much use in doing that. Plus, I don't have the time to spare.
Evidence for the contention or assertion---
0. J. Edgar Hoover
1. Richard Nixon, Spiro Agnew, and Henry Kissinger
2. Alan Greenspan and Ben Bernanke
3. Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, and Madeleine Albright
4. Robert Rubin and Larry Summers
5. Dubya Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz, Karl Rove, Douglas Feith, John Bolton, John Yoo, Hank Paulson, Michael Hayden, Scooter Libby, Richard Armitage, & others too numerous to mention
6. Barack Obama, Tim Geithner, Eric Holder, Susan Rice, Robert Gates, John Kerry, James Clapper, John Brennan, & others too numerous to mention
7. Rahm Emanuel
8. Donald Trump
9. Ted Cruz
10. Chuck Schumer
11. Harry Reid
12. Nancy Pelosi
13. Jim Inhofe
14. Tom Delay
15. Jim Traficant
16. James G. Watt (Secretary of the Interior under Reagan)
All the above is my opinion...and presently, all the high-ranking politicians that promulgate the anachronistic Repubs v. Dems paradigm in American politics should be included. They essentially are all on the same Team...that of Neoliberalism. We the People have been snookered by Edward Bernays style Propaganda into ignoring the real political paradigm in this country: the Rich & Powerful versus the rest of us.