Below is a recent email I sent to a "Conservative" friend of mine. It directly relates to the title of this piece.
Hate to say it, but I fear that it may be too late, Bob... for education, the economy, sound money, politics, the whole ball of wax. Free Market Capitalism has been almost totally replaced by Crony Capitalism (aka, what FDR & Mussolini said equals Fascism). The State has now inserted itself into every phase of human affairs. Whether you see it or not, Mega Business, along with their puppets/cronies of both political parties, are well on their way to transforming this country into a feudal society.
Voting is the opium of the masses in this land. The Oligarchs don't much care who wins any election. Most politicians are not beyond their control; the very few who are, easily can be marginalized & made impotent. [Examples: Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich]
The "Republic" portion of the USA already is gone, or 90% gone. Individual Rights matter little anymore. Voters keep voting in the same type of people (in both parties) who erode our individual sovereignty. The reasons given for such erosion are swallowed whole by a completely propagandized public who apparently no longer have the ability to think critically.
This whole scenario is nothing new to History. Persia, Athens, Rome, etc. all went the same way... oligarchical, imperial decay... caused by the super-rich, and allowed by bamboozled commoners. The USA is doing pretty much the same thing those empires did--- taking away individual rights in the name of "security/defense", and over-reaching in terms of imperial control...thus bankrupting their economies and their reputations. But while Middle Class incomes essentially stagnate, the super-rich increase their incomes by 700% in 10 years. Welcome to 2014.
But the world will continue after the collapse. The only question is, after the Fall of the Republic of the USA (sooner or later), will We the People finally have learned that politicians & the super-rich as a whole are not to be trusted? Or will we again be propagandized into supporting another political arrangement that results in a feudal society and an empire-building, aggressive, and hegemonic government?
For the sake of your kids & my grandkids, my hope is that Americans will wake up to a few facts:
1. the super-rich usually do not care who wins most elections... they control the winners, whoever they are;
2. thus, "voting" will not solve our problems;
3. public & private Institutions, for the most part, are not on our side... they mostly favor Oligarchs.
4. both Republicans and Democrats (at the highest levels) almost constantly spew out propaganda favoring the super-rich;
5. we are almost at the point of being a feudal society;
6. American politics is a complete farce;
7. for the most part, the Constitution has been abandoned;
8. we are living in a soft Fascist State;
9. the new political paradigm is the Oligarchy v. the rest of us;
10. radical but peaceful action is required to regain our freedom and sovereignty;
11. what the Oligarchy dreads is people organizing around just causes... and such organization is our best hope...not politics, not voting, not Republicans v. Democrats or Conservatives v. Liberals (those labels are completely outdated);
12. the Corporate Media (Fox, CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, etc.) all are propaganda tools of the Oligarchs. Ignore them. The differences you think you see amongst them are phony. It's all part of rigging the Game. The super-rich long ago learned how important it is for them to control the "Press". They've been doing it for decades and decades... and it's not a "conspiracy"; it's mostly in plain sight. To them, it's just good business practice.