Wednesday, September 17, 2014
The Third Iraq War, Terrorism, and Common Sense
Let's set aside the U.S. Constitution for the time being. Instead, let us view the current war situation from the standpoint of common sense...simple logic. Query: why would anyone believe any of the following to be true???
1. The U.S. Gov't has been training and advising the Iraqi Army and security forces for about TEN years; therefore, we now need to train and advise the Iraqi Army and security forces. [Ditto Afghanistan.]
2. One way to defeat terrorism is to invade Muslim countries and bomb the hell out of them, thus further inflaming Muslim fanatics. That is to our advantage.
3. Another way to defeat terrorism is to launch weaponized drones into countries not at war with us and kill SUSPECTS. Any collateral damage sustained will not further inflame either terrorists or non-terrorists. They simply will accept it as, "oh well, that's war". There will be no repercussions or Blowback.
4. When we attack a faction [ISIS, for example] in a civil war [for which our destabilization of Iraq was partly responsible] BEFORE they attack or even threaten the U.S., we should not expect any retaliation on their part. After all, they are "terrorists"...we are not.
5. When we utilize inhumane practices such as "extraordinary rendition" and "enhanced interrogation", we should not expect that Muslim fanatics will retaliate in any way...or that any innocent people caught up in those abominations will become extremists.
6. Because criminal extremists ignore borders, we can as well. That's perfectly reasonable.
7. "There will be no American combat ground troops in Iraq." [He's giving us his word on that... and given the man's history with keeping his word, we should believe him. Even if Obama is sincere & telling what he believes to be the truth, there is no way on Earth that he can know what may be required for that war in the future.]
8. Another way to defeat terrorism is to intervene in civil wars.
9. Another way to defeat terrorism is to kill the Head Honcho (Osama) of the extremists and then dump his body at sea. There should be no Blowback from that.
10. Another way to defeat terrorism is to maintain Army, Navy, and/or Air Force bases in Muslim countries... the very thing that Osama said was his reason for launching a terrorist campaign.
11. Moving the U.S. Headquarters for the Third Iraq War from the Pentagon to the State Department shows that we are interested in more than just a military solution.
12. ISIS was not responsible for 9-11; nevertheless, they are so similar to Al Qaida that we are justified in attacking them... and we can use the same "authorization" that we used about TEN+ years ago. [There are no separate wars anymore...it's all one big, continuous war.]
13. After we "defeat" ISIS, they won't simply fade back into the woodwork... to reappear later. The military option really is the best primary method to crush Muslim terrorists.
14. We can do it with no American combat troops on the ground. Airstrikes and supporting the "moderate" rebels in Syria will suffice. [These are the same "moderates" who recently beheaded six of their captives, and previous to that, sold a now-murdered journalist to ISIS for about $50,000. No worries that they will be our allies.]
15. All of this has absolutely nothing to do with access to oil or the estimated one trillion dollars worth of mineral resources (some of which are becoming very scarce in the world) beneath the ground in Afghanistan. Nothing at all to do with any of that. Your Gov't doesn't lie about such things.
Again, why would anyone believe any of that to be true?